: a large usually stationary fire characterized by very high temperatures in which the central column of rising heated air induces strong inward winds which supply oxygen to the fire
a : a sudden or violent outburst <a firestorm of public protest>
b : a raging controversy <a political firestorm>
Examples of FIRESTORM
- The bombing left the city engulfed in a firestorm.
- His proposal set off a political firestorm.
- a firestorm of public protest
First Known Use of FIRESTORM
Related to FIRESTORM
- contestation, controversy, debate, difference, difficulty, disputation, dispute, dissension (also dissention), dissensus, disagreement, nonconcurrence
- accord, agreement, consensus, harmony, unanimity
Rhymes with FIRESTORM
, by storm
, dust storm
, ice storm
, line storm
, slip form
Learn More About FIRESTORM
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up firestorm? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).