ex·pen·di·ture noun \ik-ˈspen-di-chər, -də-ˌchu̇r, -də-ˌt(y)u̇r\
: an amount of money that is spent on something
: an amount of time, energy, effort, etc., that is used to do something
: the act of spending money
: the act or process of expending <an expenditure of energy>
Examples of EXPENDITURE
- an increase in military expenditures
- an increase in military expenditure
- vast expenditures of time and effort
- The energy expenditure was significant.
- the expenditure of funds for the new school
- The project will require an expenditure of effort on everyone's part.
Origin of EXPENDITURE
irregular from expend
First Known Use: 1769
Rhymes with EXPENDITURE
, non sequitur
Learn More About EXPENDITURE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up expenditure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).