: having or exhibiting equity : dealing fairly and equally with all concerned <an equitable settlement of the dispute>
Examples of EQUITABLE
- They reached an equitable settlement of their dispute.
- fighting for a more equitable distribution of funds
- an equitable system of taxation
First Known Use of EQUITABLE
Related to EQUITABLE
- candid, disinterested, dispassionate, equal, fair, evenhanded, impartial, indifferent, just, nonpartisan, objective, square, unbiased, unprejudiced
- biased, ex parte, inequitable, nonobjective, one-sided, partial, parti pris, partisan, prejudiced, unjust
See Synonym Discussion at fair
Learn More About EQUITABLE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up equitable? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).