: to give life, action, or spirit to : animate <fresh flowers enliven the room>
Examples of ENLIVEN
- He enlivened his speech with a few jokes.
- a soup enlivened by chili peppers
- A few touches of color will enliven the room.
First Known Use of ENLIVEN
Related to ENLIVEN
- amp (up), brace, energize, animate, fillip, fire, ginger (up), invigorate, jazz (up), juice up, jump-start, liven (up), pep (up), quicken, spike, stimulate, vitalize, vivify, zip (up)
- damp, dampen, deaden, dull, kill
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up enliven? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).