: something that constitutes an end: as
a : conclusion <a movie with a happy ending>
b : one or more letters or syllables added to a word base especially in inflection
Examples of ENDING
- I didn't like the book's ending.
- Common verb endings in English are “-s,” “-ed,” and “-ing.”
- You can often recognize an English adverb by its “-ly” ending.
First Known Use of ENDING
before 12th century
Related to ENDING
- capper, close, closing, conclusion, consummation, end, endgame, finale, finis, finish, grand finale, home stretch, mop-up, windup, wrap-up
- baseline, beginning, dawn, day one, nascence, nascency, opening, start
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up ending? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).