en·able verb \i-ˈnā-bəl\
: to make (someone or something) able to do or to be something
: to make (something) possible, practical, or easy
: to cause (a feature or capability of a computer) to be active or available for use
a : to provide with the means or opportunity <training that enables people to earn a living>
b : to make possible, practical, or easy <a deal that would enable passage of a new law>
c : to cause to operate <software that enables the keyboard>
: to give legal power, capacity, or sanction to <a law enabling admission of a state>
Examples of ENABLE
- The machine enables us to create copies without losing quality.
- The system enables students to access class materials online.
- These choices are part of what enabled the company to be successful.
- a filing system that enables easy access to information
- Be sure to enable your computer's firewall.
First Known Use of ENABLE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up enable? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).