City (pop., 2000: 86,918) and inland port, northeastern Minnesota, U.S. It is situated on Lake Superior at the mouth of the St. Louis River, opposite Superior, Wis. The combined Duluth-Superior harbour is the western terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Through it are shipped iron ore, coal, grain, and oil. The site was named after Daniel DuLhut, one of the French voyageurs who visited the area in the 17th century. It was laid out in 1856 and incorporated as a city in 1870.