: consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate
: a formal treatment of a topic in speech or writing
Examples of DISCUSSION
- The class was involved in a heated discussion about politics.
- I hope to have a discussion with them about the matter soon.
- After much discussion of the plan, the idea was rejected entirely.
- During the period under discussion, the town grew in size.
- The smoking ban is a major topic of discussion these days.
- The article is an in-depth discussion of his theories.
- The first chapter includes a discussion of childcare issues.
First Known Use of DISCUSSION
Related to DISCUSSION
- argument, argumentation, argy-bargy [chiefly British], back-and-forth, colloquy, confab, confabulation, conference, consult, consultation, council, counsel, debate, deliberation, dialogue (also dialog), give-and-take, palaver, parley, talk
Learn More About DISCUSSION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up discussion? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).