City (pop., 2004 est.: 149,000), east-central France. The site has been occupied from pre-Roman times. It became the capital of the duchy of Burgundy in 1015 and prospered under the Valois dynasty (1364–1477). Louis XI annexed the city in the late 15th century. Its historic buildings include a 13th-century church and 14th-century town hall (the former palace of the dukes of Burgundy). Its university was founded in 1722. A market and tourist centre, it is still known for its food products (e.g., mustard, vinegar, and gingerbread).