: to lessen the value of
: to institute devaluation
Examples of DEVALUE
- The government has decided to devalue its currency.
- Economic woes forced the government to devalue.
- He argues that placing too many requirements on schools devalues the education they provide.
First Known Use of DEVALUE
Related to DEVALUE
- attenuate, break, cheapen, depress, devaluate, depreciate, downgrade, lower, mark down, reduce, sink, write down, write off
- appreciate, enhance, mark up, upgrade
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up devalue? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).