de·par·ture noun \di-ˈpär-chər\
a (1) : the act or an instance of departing (2) archaic : death
b : a setting out (as on a new course)
Examples of DEPARTURE
- What is your time of departure?
- You should plan to arrive at the airport an hour before departure.
- a schedule of arrivals and departures
- The departures of several key employees have caused problems for the company.
- her sudden departure from the company
- The team has struggled since the departure of its head coach.
- His previous movies have all been comedies, so this dramatic role is a real departure for him.
First Known Use of DEPARTURE
Related to DEPARTURE
- decamping, decampment, departing, exit, exiting, farewell, going, leave, leave-taking, lighting out, outgo, parting, quitting, walking out
- advent, appearance, arrival
Learn More About DEPARTURE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up departure? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).