: an amount that is lacking or inadequate : shortage: as
a : a shortage of substances necessary to health
b : deletion 2b(1)
Examples of DEFICIENCY
- The disease may be caused by nutritional deficiencies.
- The book's major deficiency is its poor plot.
- a deficiency of vitamin C
- There are several deficiencies in his plan.
- The accident was caused by deficiencies in the engine.
First Known Use of DEFICIENCY
Related to DEFICIENCY
- crunch, dearth, deficit, drought (also drouth), failure, famine, inadequacy, inadequateness, insufficiency, lack, lacuna, paucity, pinch, poverty, scantiness, scarceness, scarcity, shortage, undersupply, want
- abundance, adequacy, amplitude, opulence, plenitude, plenty, sufficiency, wealth
de·fi·cien·cy noun \di-ˈfish-ən-sē\ (Medical Dictionary)
: a shortage of substances (as vitamins) necessary to health
Learn More About DEFICIENCY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up deficiency? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).