: to grow dark : become obscured <the skies were darkening>
: to become gloomy <his mood darkened>
: to make less clear : obscure <the financial crisis darkened the future of the company>
Examples of DARKEN
- The sky darkened and it started to rain.
- Her face darkens to a deep red when she gets angry.
- The wood will darken as it ages.
- The bad news darkened his mood.
- The last days of her life were darkened by illness.
- His mood darkened after he heard the bad news.
First Known Use of DARKEN
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up darken? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).