con·tri·bu·tion noun \ˌkän-trə-ˈbyü-shən\
: a payment (as a levy or tax) imposed by military, civil, or ecclesiastical authorities usually for a special or extraordinary purpose
— con·trib·u·tive \kən-ˈtri-byə-tiv\ adjective
— con·trib·u·tive·ly adverb
Examples of CONTRIBUTION
- They thanked him for his contribution of time and money.
- He made an important contribution to the debate.
- As mayor, he made many positive contributions to the growth of the city.
- a book of essays including contributions from several well-known political columnists
- The money was raised by voluntary contribution.
First Known Use of CONTRIBUTION
Rhymes with CONTRIBUTION
Learn More About CONTRIBUTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up contribution? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).