con·fi·den·tial adjective \ˌkän-fə-ˈden(t)-shəl\
: secret or private
: showing that you are saying something that is secret or private
: trusted with secret or private information
: marked by intimacy or willingness to confide <a confidential tone>
Examples of CONFIDENTIAL
- These documents are completely confidential.
- “I have something to tell you,” John said in a confidential tone.
- Her voice was quiet and confidential.
- She worked as a confidential secretary to the mayor for many years.
First Known Use of CONFIDENTIAL
Related to CONFIDENTIAL
- behind-the-scenes, private, esoteric, hushed, hush-hush, inside, intimate, nonpublic, privy, secret
- common, open, public
Learn More About CONFIDENTIAL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up confidential? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).