City (pop., 2000: 174,438), northwestern Thailand. Located on the Ping River about 80 mi (130 km) east of Myanmar, it was founded in the late 13th century as the capital of the independent Lan Na kingdom. Later subject to Myanmar, it was taken by the Siamese in 1774 but retained a degree of independence from Bangkok until the late 19th century. It is now northern Thailand's religious, economic, and cultural centre. Nearby is the temple complex of Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, whose monastery was built in the 14th century.