: full of love for and goodwill toward others : benevolent
a : liberal in benefactions to the needy : generous
b : of or relating to charity <charitable institutions>
: merciful or kind in judging others : lenient
— char·i·ta·ble·ness noun
— char·i·ta·bly \-blē\ adverb
Examples of CHARITABLE
- She makes a charitable donation every year.
- He performs charitable work to help the poor.
- They give money to charitable causes.
- She has tried to be charitable about her sister's problems.
- Half of the class has a chance at passing the test, and that is a charitable estimate.
First Known Use of CHARITABLE
Learn More About CHARITABLE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up charitable? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).