bright·en verb \ˈbrī-tən\
: to add more light to (something)
: to make (something) more colorful or cheerful
: to become brighter or more cheerful
bright·enedbright·en·ing \ˈbrīt-niŋ, ˈbrī-tən-iŋ\
Examples of BRIGHTEN
- He brightened the picture on the television.
- Flowers can brighten any room.
- The good news brightened her mood.
- The sky brightened after the storm.
- Business prospects brightened last month.
- Her face brightened in relief when she heard that he was not hurt.
First Known Use of BRIGHTEN
Learn More About BRIGHTEN
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up brighten? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).