Capital (pop., 2000: 5,996) of Barbados, West Indies. Located on Carlisle Bay at the southwestern end of Barbados, it is the island's only port of entry. Founded in 1628, it was originally called Indian Bridge. The name St. Michael's Town came into favour c. 1660 and remained in use into the 19th century. The town was ravaged repeatedly by fires, and in 1854 a cholera epidemic killed some 20,000 people. Landmarks include St. Michael's Anglican Cathedral, built of coral rock. Economic mainstays include sugar refining, rum distilling, and tourism.