boost·er noun \ˈbü-stər\
: one that boosts: as
a : an enthusiastic supporter
b : an auxiliary device for increasing force, power, pressure, or effectiveness
c slang : shoplifter
d : a radio-frequency amplifier for a radio or television receiving set
e : the first stage of a multistage rocket providing thrust for the launching and the initial part of the flight
f : a substance that increases the effectiveness of a medicament; especially : booster shot
Examples of BOOSTER
- These exercises are real metabolism boosters.
- Music is my favorite mood booster.
- A sincere compliment can be a true confidence booster.
- The university has a number of wealthy boosters who contribute generously each year.
- a new design for rocket boosters
First Known Use of BOOSTER
Related to BOOSTER
- advocate, advocator, apostle, backer, exponent, champion, expounder, espouser, friend, gospeler (or gospeller), herald, hierophant, high priest, paladin, promoter, proponent, protagonist, supporter, true believer, tub-thumper, white knight
- adversary, antagonist, opponent
boost·er noun \ˈbü-stər\ (Medical Dictionary)
: a substance that increases the effectiveness of a medicament; especially : booster shot
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up booster? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).