bar·bar·ic adjective \bär-ˈber-ik, -ˈba-rik\
: of or relating to barbarians
: very rude or offensive : not polite or proper
: very cruel
a : of, relating to, or characteristic of barbarians
b : possessing or characteristic of a cultural level more complex than primitive savagery but less sophisticated than advanced civilization
a : marked by a lack of restraint : wild
b : having a bizarre, primitive, or unsophisticated quality
Examples of BARBARIC
- Barbaric tribes invaded the area.
- His table manners are barbaric.
- They considered the custom barbaric.
- The treatment of the prisoners was positively barbaric.
First Known Use of BARBARIC
Related to BARBARIC
- atrocious, cruel, barbarous, brutal, brute, butcherly, fiendish, heartless, inhuman, inhumane, sadistic, savage, truculent, vicious, wanton
- benign, benignant, compassionate, good-hearted, humane, kind, kindhearted, sympathetic, tenderhearted
Learn More About BARBARIC
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up barbaric? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).