avail·able adjective \ə-ˈvā-lə-bəl\
: easy or possible to get or use
: present or ready for use
: present and able or willing to talk to someone
archaic : having a beneficial effect
: valid —used of a legal plea or charge
: present or ready for immediate use <available resources>
: qualified or willing to do something or to assume a responsibility <available candidates>
: present in such chemical or physical form as to be usable (as by a plant) <available nitrogen> <available water>
— avail·able·ness noun
— avail·ably \-blē\ adverb
Examples of AVAILABLE
- The family kept emergency supplies available.
- The dress is also available in larger sizes.
- The articles are available at any drugstore.
- Fresh fruit is available during the summer.
- The drug is readily available in Europe.
- The report will soon be made available to the public.
- I missed the plane, and the next available flight doesn't leave until tomorrow.
- All available resources were used.
- She spent every available dollar on her hobby.
- Parking is available for people staying at the hotel.
First Known Use of AVAILABLE
Related to AVAILABLE
- accessible, acquirable, attainable, obtainable, procurable, at the ready, on hand, on file, on tap
- inaccessible, unattainable, unavailable, unobtainable
Learn More About AVAILABLE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up available? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).