anon·y·mous adjective \ə-ˈnä-nə-məs\
: not named or identified
: made or done by someone unknown
: not distinct or noticeable : lacking interesting or unusual characteristics
: of unknown authorship or origin <an anonymous tip>
: not named or identified <an anonymous author> <they wish to remain anonymous>
: lacking individuality, distinction, or recognizability <the anonymous faces in the crowd> <the gray anonymous streets — William Styron>
— anon·y·mous·ly adverb
— anon·y·mous·ness noun
Examples of ANONYMOUS
- The donor wishes to remain anonymous.
- An anonymous buyer purchased the painting.
- The college received an anonymous gift.
- He made an anonymous phone call to the police.
- The reporter got an anonymous tip.
- His was just another anonymous face in the crowd.
Origin of ANONYMOUS
Late Latin anonymus,
from Greek anōnymos,
name — more at name
First Known Use: 1563
Related to ANONYMOUS
- certain, given, one, some, unidentified, unnamed, unspecified
- baptized, christened, dubbed, named, termed
Learn More About ANONYMOUS
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up anonymous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).