: a public notification or declaration
: a piece of formal stationery designed for a social or business announcement
Examples of ANNOUNCEMENT
- Many people were surprised by the government's announcement that there will be a cut in taxes.
- I heard an announcement on the loudspeaker saying that the store was closing in 10 minutes.
- The company president made an announcement about the merger.
- He asked us to pay attention because he had an important announcement to make.
- I saw their wedding announcement in the newspaper.
- They have been very busy since the announcement of their wedding.
First Known Use of ANNOUNCEMENT
Learn More About ANNOUNCEMENT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up announcement? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).