: relating to or affected with anemia
a : lacking force, vitality, or spirit <an anemic rendition of the song> <anemic efforts at enforcement>
b : lacking interest or savor : insipid <anemic wines>
c : lacking in substance or quantity <anemic returns on an investment> <anemic attendance>
— ane·mi·cal·ly \-mi-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
Examples of ANEMIC
- The doctor told me I was slightly anemic.
- The band played an anemic rendition of a classic love song.
- Investors are worried about the stock's anemic performance.
- Officials worried about anemic attendance at the shows.
- Sales rose an anemic 0.5 percent last quarter.
First Known Use of ANEMIC
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up anemic? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).