: line of descent : lineage; especially : honorable, noble, or aristocratic descent
: persons initiating or comprising a line of descent : ancestors
Examples of ANCESTRY
- They claim to be of noble ancestry.
- a person of unknown ancestry
- She claims to be able to trace her ancestry all the way back to the earliest settlers.
First Known Use of ANCESTRY
Related to ANCESTRY
- birth, blood, bloodline, breeding, descent, extraction, family tree, genealogy, line, lineage, origin, parentage, pedigree, stock, strain
- issue, posterity, progeny, seed
Learn More About ANCESTRY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up ancestry? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).