noun al·li·ance \ə-ˈlī-ən(t)s\
: a union between people, groups, countries, etc. : a relationship in which people agree to work together
: the state of being joined in some activity or effort : the state of being allied
: a group of people, countries, etc., that are joined together in some activity or effort
a : the state of being allied : the action of allying
b : a bond or connection between families, states, parties, or individuals <a closer alliance between government and industry>
: an association to further the common interests of the members; specifically : a confederation of nations by treaty
: union by relationship in qualities : affinity
defined for English-language learners
Examples of ALLIANCE
- We need to form a closer alliance between government and industry.
- strengthen the alliance of western nations
- There has been a pattern of shifting alliances in the political world.
- The article condemns what some say is an unholy alliance between government and media.
- one nation working in alliance with another
- There is disagreement within the alliance about how to deal with this problem.
First Known Use of ALLIANCE
city NE Ohio NE of Canton pop 22,322
: a relationship in which people, groups, or countries agree to work together <The oil company and the environmental group formed an unusual alliance.>
: an association of people, groups, or nations working together for a specific purpose <the Alliance for Arts Education>
Learn More About ALLIANCE