Type of 17th-century embroidery, named for the upholstery of a set of Italian chairs at Florence's Bargello Museum. It consists of a wavy zigzag pattern of flat vertical stitches laid parallel with the canvas weave, rather than crossing the intersections diagonally as in most canvas stitches, in gradating tones of the same colour or in contrasting colours. The characteristic stitch is called Florentine, cushion, Hungarian, or flame stitch (an allusion to the flamelike gradation of colour).

Variants of BARGELLO

bargello or Florentine canvas work

This entry comes from Encyclopædia Britannica Concise.
For the full entry on bargello, visit

Seen & Heard

What made you look up bargello? Please tell us what you were reading, watching or discussing that led you here.