Browser Tools & Widgets
Tools for Google Chrome
Google Chrome Reference Search Add-On
Add Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical Dictionary, & Concise Encyclopedia to Google Chrome and look up words instantly!
Select a Reference
Reference Search Add-On Instructions
- Using the "Select a Reference" list above, click the reference that you would like to add.
- The "Edit Search Engine" popup window will appear.
- We recommend you enter in a custom keyword in the "Keyword" field (example: "mwdict" or "dict"). Then select "OK" on the "Edit Search Engine" popup window. The search is now ready for use.
- To begin searching, move your cursor to the browser's address bar.
- Enter your keyword from step 3, followed by the word you wish to search for and hit "Enter".
Note: After you enter your keyword, the address bar will change to indicate that you are searching Merriam-Webster (see below).
Google Chrome Dictionary App
Add the Merriam-Webster app to your Google Chrome browser for quick access to our website and references!
Select a Reference
Chrome App Installation Instructions
- Click the reference app above that you wish to install. The app's "Overview" page will display.
- To add the app to Google Chrome, click the "Free" button at the top right of the window.
- A "Confirm New App" dialog box will appear. Select "Add" to add the app to Google Chrome.
- The app is now available for use.
Merriam-Webster On the Desktop
Quick access to Merriam-Webster's resources directly from your desktop via Google Chrome!
- Open Google Chrome and proceed to the Merriam-Webster website you wish to add to your desktop.
- Move your cursor to the Google Chrome address bar.
- Left-click and hold your cursor over the page icon (see below) and drag it to your desktop.
- An icon will appear on your desktop labeled with the Merriam-Webster website name. You may now double-click this icon to access Merriam-Webster directly.